If you require any further information and/or assistance please do not hesitate to contact our Happy2move team.
A few weeks before your moving date
Start thinking about what things you will be taking with you to your new place. This could also be a good excuse to give away that old jumper that you brought, thinking it was a good idea at the time, but only used once and realised it really wasn’t you.
- Start using up your perishables foods.
- Give away clothes, shoes and other unwanted items to charity.
- Any unwanted furniture that you will not be taking to your new place you should try and sell. eBay and Gumtree are a good place to sell your unwanted furniture.
- Order packing supplies for your move e.g. Boxes, bubble wrap, marker pens, etc. (Make sure you order enough, as you usually need more than you actually think you require).
- Start packing, the sooner the better! Packing can take a lot longer than you anticipate it too. Its really good to start early, gives you less to worry about as the moving date gets closer.
- Give us a call and place your booking with us!
A week before your moving date
- Notify your utilities e.g. Gas, electric, water, telephone and internet, etc.
- Notify Doctor/Dentist
- Notify your bank
- Notify DVLA
- Notify your insurance company
- Hopefully you will have started to pack already, if not, start packing!!
A couple of days before the move
- Keep all important documents aside e.g. Passports, driving license, credit/debits cards etc.
- If you have small children, arrange for a sitter to look after them on the day of the move.
- Defrost fridge/freezer
- Drain washing machine
- Get a good nights rest!
On the moving day
- Make sure you have the keys to your new property and keep them safe.
- Check your cupboards
- Check attic
- Check your shed
- Check garage
- Give your house one last look over.
Things to remember when packing
- All flat pack furniture should be dismantled, and taped together. Nuts and bolts should be kept together separately in a small bag/jar.
- Heavy boxes can be a nuisance so please distribute the weight evenly, especially if you are using cardboard ones as they can fall apart from the bottom, resulting in all your possessions ending up on the floor.
- Mark all fragile boxes ‘FRAGILE’ and all heavy items ‘HEAVY’ clearly.
- Some items are easier to bag like clothes, odds and ends, etc. If this is the case try use suitcases where possible. If you need to use bin liners make sure they are of good quality so that they do not rip easy.
- Fragile electronic items such as TV, DVD player, stereo, PS3 should be packed in there original boxes, but this is not possible all the time as some people throw away the original packaging, if this is the case then try cover the fragile item with bubble wrap or a blanket.
- Remember if you are not living on the ground floor, to avoid the extra £5 per floor charge, bring all your belongings down to ground floor and have them ready to load into the van before the driver arrives. Also remember that we load van with flat items first e.g. Flat pack furniture, ironing board, pictures. Then the big items e.g. Chest of draws, cupboards, bed side cabinets and then with boxes, bags and odds and ends. So with this in mind try to arrange the items in order they are going to be loaded into the van.
If you have any questions about making your own move give us a call on 020 3691 0347 or get in touch via our contact page.