5 Steps to Choosing a Removal Company
The paperwork is signed – the move is on! In the short time you have remaining, there are many things that need to be organised, like finding a removal company.
Take a quick look on the web, and you will see many companies, from larger national chains to local, independent carriers. All of them offer very similar services but how do you choose the right one?
Here are the five steps to getting the right company, at the right price…
Step 1 – Find Potential Movers
You can do this by;
- Searching online for local moving companies in your area
- Asking for recommendations from family, friends and neighbours
- Using a search directory such as ‘Yellow Pages’
Step 2 – Create a Shortlist
Rather than working through a long list of companies, shorten it to three contenders. You can do this in various ways but consider;
- Do they provide the services you need? E.g. full packing service, a man with a van etc.
- Do they provide services in your area? E.g. are they local or do they operate nationwide. Do they cover international moves, if that is what you want?
- What do previous customers say about them?
Step 3 – Arrange a Home Survey
If a company offers a quote over the phone without seeing the ‘job’, they are best avoided. Opt for companies that give no obligation quotations and not estimates, as you don’t want to end up with a bigger bill than you budgeted for.
Discuss with them during this home visit;
- What you want and need from the company (and what you don’t want)
- Access and any issues this may present
- Any questions you have
- How it all works on the day
- The volume of belongings (how big the job is!)
Step 4 – Compare the Quotes
Now that you have the home visits from your chosen three removal companies to compare, you need to look at their prices – and how this sits with your budget.
Don’t decide on price alone because you need to compare;
- Are they quoting on the same things?
- Did they note any special requirements?
- Are they offering something different?
Step 5 – Book Moving Day with Your Chosen Company!
Now that you have decided on your chosen company, you need to book moving day. In the case of selling and buying, book a provisional date with the company, confirming this as soon as possible. It is reasonable to expect to pay a deposit to secure your preferred date.
For insurance purposes, most companies will send out a contract with the move detailed on it, including any special requirements etc. It should clearly state what you are responsible for on the day, such as ensuring access at suitable times and so on. You will need to sign and return these.
Check when your removal company wants full payment too and make sure that this is transaction is completed so that when the big day does arrive, everything is ready to go!
If you need help with your move feel free to get in touch today!
Happy2Move is a man with a van team with a wealth of experience in domestic and commercial moves.